Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Tobias Gruetzmacher nospam at portfolio16.de
Wed Mar 21 13:12:28 CET 2007

Hi,

Am Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:31:56 +0100 schrieb Sven Neuhaus:
> Tobias Gruetzmacher wrote:
>> Partitions are a major usability nightmare IMHO. That is the reason my
>> proposal focused on encfs/ecryptfs, which both are "layered" encryption
>> "file systems". This removes the requirement to set a fixed size for
>> the encrypted space and makes it easy to use standard tools to backup
>> the encrypted data.
>
> It doesn't have to be complicated, check out this screencast
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/crypto/ showing LUKS integration
> into Gnome.

I know of this integration. I have setup many devices with LUKS
encryption. But I really don't want to ask the user "How big should your
encrypted space be?" on a mobile device. It should just work when the
user selects the "Please encrypt my personal data" checkbox... When
repartitioning, one has to do ugly stuff to preserve the existing data.
ecryptfs/encfs is just as easy as mounting into an empty directory and
moving the data there. No low-level fiddling with the partitions to do at
all.

Greetings, Tobi

--
GPG-Key 0xE2BEA341 - signed/encrypted mail preferred
My, oh so small, homepage: http://portfolio16.de/