Flash Player 9 on OpenMoko?

Frank de Lange openmoko-f at unternet.org
Thu Mar 22 14:34:46 CET 2007

Steven ** wrote:
> How does the GPL prevent mp3 and flash video support?
>
> -Steven
>
> On 3/22/07, Christian F.K. Schaller <christian at fluendo.com> wrote:
>> Gnash would probably be of no interest to any shipping a commercial
>> product as the GPL license of it will conflict with enabling mp3 and
>> flash video support. swfdec is LGPL though so as long as the mp3 and
>> flash video support comes from external libraries it will be fine.

It doesn't. I think Christian mixes up the (anti) software-patent
provisions in the GPL (v2 and after) with a total prohibition of
implementation of patented material. Even disregarding this there are
still many sane regions in the world where mathematical algorithms are
not patentable.

So Gnash and swfdec are both fine candidates for inclusion in a free
software driven device as far as I can see.

Cheers//Frank