Compressed SMS (and other text messages)

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Thu Mar 22 14:40:14 CET 2007

* Jonathon Suggs <jsuggs at murmp.com> [070321 22:58]:
> Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
> >...plus probably a system that would automatically upload/download moko-ness information.
> <snip>
> >This way all mokos could keep in touch, and people that switch phones
> >more often would be able to tune it.
> >
> First, I'm not a SMS user (I use email.), so you can take this comment for whatever its worth.
>
> This is just a very general statement, but I personally think that designing features that will only work with other OpenMoko phones is a bad idea.  Yes, there are some ideas that will
> probably only work between similar/identical devices, but they are probably going to be very specific and not receive as much overall development time.
>
> My challenge is just to think bigger.  Think how this could be incorporated to work with *any* phone.  Then you can have a much larger group of people to brainstorm, test, and bugfix.
> We have enough protocols and standards to support.  Creating yet another one isn't really going to help that much.  Also, I don't know anyone else that is planning on getting a
> OpenMoko device, so its pretty pointless for me at this point.  I know you've got to start somewhere, but starting out a battle fighting uphill isn't the best of ideas.
>
> Sorry if I completely missed the point.
No, I basically agree. The problem I wanted to address is the need
that some people will want to do Moko-specific stuff. For these, it
would be nice to have a way to discover with a relevant probability
that it's correct, if a given user is a Moko user. Actually, it's
harder, because you probably should have a token profile, because not
every moko on this planet will have the same features/apps :(

Andreas