Flash Player 9 on OpenMoko?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 19:16:22 CET 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 17:33, hank williams wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Henryk Plötz <henryk at openmoko.org> wrote:
> > Moin,
> >
> > Am Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:31:03 -0400 schrieb hank williams:
> > > As I see it, not having a real version of flash makes openmoko much
> > > less disruptively competitive than it might otherwise be. Developing
> > > apps with flash really allows for the creation of much more
> > > sophisticated software much more quickly. Of course flash 9 is
> > > currently not compiled for ARM, but that will come.
> >
> > I think nobody would seriously object having an optional, downloadable,
> > binary flash add-on. I think "currently not compiled for ARM" is a much
> > bigger problem than it seems. Currently Adobe's Flash is not even
> > available for x86_64. When I was wondering why nobody at Adobe seems to
> > have 64bit compiler I was told that part of the problem is that they
> > use a JIT compiler for Actionscript which happens to put out x86
> > opcodes. Good luck trying to get them port that to ARM.
>
> Actually, the new actionscript JIT complier/interpreter in flash 9 (the
> only one with a JIT - the older ones dont have it) is now open source and
> is available on the mozilla website. It is already designed to output ARM
> code as it was recognized that mobile was a critical part of their future.
> That said, I am sure there is lots of work yet to do to optimize and
> recompile the latest flash core for ARM. I am just saying the JIT compiler
> isnt where the problem is.

Adobe's linux flash developers say the JIT is one of several non-portable
parts that's preventing release of a 64bit version under any OS. It's good
that they've done the work to rewrite the non-portable bits for arm, but on
x86_64 flash still isn't a viable option.

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/10/whats_so_difficult_64bit_editi.html