Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Thu Mar 22 20:48:44 CET 2007

Tim Newsom writes:

>On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:13, Tim Newsom wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:17, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> From what I remember of the discussions so far, that seems to meet the
>> majority of requirements for encrypted file storage and also manages
>> many of the things related to authentication that we have been
>> discussing.
>
>In a semi related note, how would we enable this ability for things like
>the contacts database? Or any other application database for that
>matter?

It's not necessary (which was one of my goals) -- if the pefs is
mounted, any time the application reads or writes an encrypted file
the Right Thing Happens.  An encryption-aware application can request
its databases be saved encrypted; the encryption manager would handle
encrypting databases for unaware applications, after which the
encryption would happen without any help from the application.