Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Fri Mar 23 15:33:57 CET 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 15:25:24 Tim Newsom wrote:
> How would this work from a db perspective? If a notes application does
> not know about encryption and just knows to save data... And it uses
> some kind of a db file to do it, how do you secure that partially?  One
> note secure and one not?  If it used files for each note that would be
> easier, but in a db?  It seems like you would have to mirror the db file
> itself and somehow join them together before the read in order to get it
> working and that seems way too complex.  At the moment I don't see a way
> without encryption the entire db.  The application probably won't be
> expecting 2 dbs and won't know how to handle it. /shrug

KISS and just encrypt whole files or keep whole files in plaintext. So either
that note application saves its file into the unencrypted tree or the
encrypted one but mixing data inside files seems way more complex than really
needed. It's not like notes are so big that the penalty of encrypting a few
more than required would be that huge.