Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Tim Newsom cephdon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:50:05 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 7:38, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> On Friday 23 March 2007 15:25:24 Tim Newsom wrote:
>
> KISS and just encrypt whole files or keep whole files in plaintext. So
> either
> that note application saves its file into the unencrypted tree or the
> encrypted one but mixing data inside files seems way more complex than
> really
> needed. It's not like notes are so big that the penalty of encrypting a
> few
> more than required would be that huge.

Granted, for notes it would not be. It was just an example.

I guess I am thinking of something like a proxy for all file
operations.. Including sockets.  But one where the applications don't
really need to know what's happening to the information.

They make a call to read on a file handle and the proxy picks it up and
as joe said it "Does The Right Thing".  I include sockets because I can
foresee a time when someone (me maybe) might want to turn on encryption
for an application that communicates over the net but isn't smart enough
or wasn't built with any kind of encryption.

Having one system handle all of these the same way would simplify
implementation and unify administration (it seems to me anyway).
--Tim