Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Fri Mar 23 18:20:46 CET 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 18:01:09 Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> >~/file1
> >and ~/encrypted/file2
> >seems a lot easier to implement AND use to me...
>
> Implement, yes (since it's already been done).  Use?  I don't think
> so.

You can actually use it right now, with almost every app (except for those
broken enough to use hardcoded filenames), without any hacking. Most of the
neat features mentioned above are app level anyhow which is very well
possible...

Now, for a (IMHO) truly useful extension: find a way to cache writes and
encrypt them with a public key so that creating new files (for example
because you just received a SMS) can work while the phone is locked. Once the
phone is unlocked, decrypt the data and store it in the encrypted FS.

Maybe it's just me, but pefs seems vastly over engineered. Which is generally
a bad thing when it comes to encryption...