UI long term development perspective: physics engine

Gervais Mulongoy gervais.mulongoy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 18:34:28 CET 2007

Ok so the smoothness is really the rate of deceleration right? When the user
grabs the scrolly and flings it, that gives us initial velocity of the
scrolly...
We know that scrolling has stopped when the velocity of the scrolly is 0.
The rate of deceleration is really just the acceleration of the scrolly
while the user is flinging it right? I think that gives us enough
information to do the smoothness transition thing.

The added bonus is that when the user gently grabs the scrolly and moves it,
it won't slide as much after they let go. But if they move it quickly, it
will have greater acceleration...If i remember correctly, Acceleration is
the rate of change of distance over time. There might be some calculus
somewhere here.

Does this make sense? I'd really love to see this implemented at the GTK
level so all GTK apps can benefit.