OpenMoko - SoC--- is there a mentor?

Karsten Ensinger karsten.at.openmoko at onlinehome.de
Sat Mar 24 08:05:30 CET 2007

Hi Guy,

first of all, please do NOT feel offended when I criticise some
aspects of your idea. I am definitely prejudiced due to my
addiction to the "finger splash" idea on the openmoko-wiki.

The decisive difference between the "finger splash" idea and your
idea seems to be the fact, that one can input several characters
by a single stroke.
Due to the restricted place we have on screen and the fact that
we want to be able to use the input with a single finger, the
number of "action areas" is limited to three of four in a row.
If you take an arbitrary mobile phone in your preferred hand
and try to use the keyboard (it doesn't matter if it is a "real"
keyboard or a touch screen), you will use your thumb for
typing normally.
Unfortunately the thumb is the one of your fingers which has
the biggest fingertip. This limits the number of "action areas"
to less than four, if you take into account that a lot of
people use their hands for work and therefore have some "special
sized" thumbs (means: big hands).
Your solution should fit for the majority of users and not only
for people with hands sized like children.
With three "action areas" in a row, the number of characters
reachable by your idea will be just two.
This two characters, to me, seem not to be a viable advantage
over the "finger splash" idea nor legitimate the more complicated
usage (one has to meet the correct boundaries to prevent typing
more characters than wanted).

Maybe you should adapt the complete "finger splash" idea as is
and try to find a mentor for that. The original author of the
"finger splash" mentioned that he will not be able to start
with implementing his idea very soon and encouraged others
to start with it.
Why not you?

Regards
Karsten