UI long term development perspective: physics engine

adrian cockcroft adrian.cockcroft at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 19:14:03 CEST 2007

The physics comes in if you give the slider "mass" and intertia. Then
it accelerates and decelerates depending upon how hard you push it and
how much friction there is.

The acceleration is driven by the difference in position of the touch
point and the slider as you move the touch point and the slider lags
the movement. Move the touch point slowly and the slider follows it,
flick it fast and the slider will get a bigger kick, accelerate more
then coast to a halt and have the overshoot that you want.

Adrian