Compressed SMS (and other text messages)

Tehn Yit Chin tehn.yit.chin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 01:10:59 CEST 2007

One of the things that I have just received recently is that, somehow,
the network detected that I had a phone that was not able to receive a
MMS. It just sent me a text message with a web address in it to
retrieve it. This implementation is not too good as it immediacy of
SMS is lost.

Can the type of phone be known by the network, if so, can we exploit to it?