Audio quality and libsamplerate...

Chad.Heuschober at mail.cuny.edu Chad.Heuschober at mail.cuny.edu
Mon Mar 26 17:08:53 CEST 2007

Has the in/exclusion of libsamplerate (aka 'secret rabbit code') in alsa
been discussed yet?

It may seem like a fringe topic but part of the success of devices like
this is attributed to their ability to do the jobs of many devices at
once. When it comes to playing music, for the most part, portable players
are generally very poor performers (with some notable exceptions). It made
me very happy to see the inclusion of a wolfson dac in the device as,
traditionally, wolfson dacs have much better power handling and higher
quality output than other dacs. This is why v1 and v2 iPods, which use the
wolfson chips, have superior sound production to later iterations.

If libsamplerate is included as part of the core the choice can be left to
the user to enable some of the other samplers (like samplerate-best) and
sacrifice the requisite cpu cycles in their .asoundrc. There's not a huge
cost in KiB's and inclusion of the library doesn't dictate that a user
MUST use the more expensive converter. Personally, I'd like to see it
included since it's obvious a mixer is necessary and samplerate
conversions will occur. But I'm also someone who has canalphones that cost
more than a high-end iPod so it's possible my opinion is skewed. I do
firmly believe that, assuming the power handling is done well and there
isn't voltage bleeding (which would be silly considering that this is a
mobile device and can't afford it) or rampant emi, that this device has
the potential to reach into the upper echelon of audio production and
could further distinguish itself by taking that crown from other
contenders.

(Thinking about that inevitable 'comparison' article on a tech website).

Thoughts? If a 'good idea' who does this get passed to?

~Chad