E-mail style voicemail.

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Mon Mar 26 23:48:54 CEST 2007

Hey Matthew.

My understanding is that Wildfire had an interface vaguely like this
in the 90's, and at least one Canon voice-mail / desktop mash-up
device had a voice-mail system where entries were presented as a list
on a screen. So I would be real surprised if Apple tried to patent
the concept of listing voice-mails the same way email clients list
email messages.

The main problem with the approach you outline here is that if the
phone is turned off or out of the cell service, you couldn't connect
with the on-board anything. But it's a great idea for "do not
disturb" behavior.

I came up with something conceptually similar... I live in the
sticks, so I don't have mobile service at my house. As I drive into
the office, I have intermittent service. I had really bad service in
my old office building so I came up with the following solution.

1. Forward cell calls to my asterisk box.
2. If my SIP phone isn't registered or I don't answer, take a message.
3. Send a SMS message to my phone that's intercepted by the voice
mail app.
4. When the voice mail app receives the SMS message, it establishes a
net connection to my asterisk box and downloads the message to my phone.

One of the things I like about programmable phones is it allows the
device to become a "1st class peer." That is, it's not longer
dependent on a server for data operations. So if you have the DND (Do
Not Disturb) mode activated, maybe the phone could take a message and
forward it to the server. Then you would have the message right there
on the phone, and it would be made available on the server as well.

The reason I like to have voice mail on a server is:
a. I can archive the messages.
b. I can annotate the messages via a PC. i.e. - I'm using the nice,
comfortable keyboard on the PC.
c. I can access my voice mail with a web interface, if I want.

But a couple reasons why you might prefer the server to take the
message and forward it to the phone...
a. you're going to burn minutes on the oncoming call (but I guess
this isn't an issue outside the US.)
b. the call quality might be better when you're connecting to the
server on the other end of  a land-line.

But.. I think it's a great option for DND. Implementing it shouldn't
be too big of a hassle.

-Cheers
-Matt H.