Voice synthesizer for blind and visual impaired person

Jeffrey L. Taylor openmoko at abluz.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 27 16:44:52 CEST 2007

Quoting Bartlomiej Zdanowski AutoGuard Ltd. <b.zdanowski at autoguard.pl>:
[snip]
> Right I forgot about tactile display but plastic keys should be great. I
> think it should work because all PDA point-sticks work great. Touch-keys
> don't have to be clear... because blind person don't care about it,
> remember.

But not all of their friends are blind.  Making a phone unusable by a sighted
person is as bad as making it unusable for a blind person.  At least for POTS
usage.  IMHO, anyone who has used a cellphone before should be able to pick up
an unfamiliar phone and answer a call and/or make a call a manually entered
number.

Ideally this would extend to deaf people too.  However, I don't think texting
UI is as standardized as voice & hard/soft keys UI.

Just my $0.02USD,
  Jeffrey