Voice synthesizer for blind and visual impaired person

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Wed Mar 28 08:13:08 CEST 2007

I work at the Kansas School for the Blind. Portable computing devices
for the visually impaired are extremely expensive, so seeing an
affordable OpenMoko device that is blind-friendly would be great.

Personally, I am interested in OpenMoko because I think using a phone
for remote administration of my Linux servers would be convenient. But,
I'd be more than interested in connecting developers with the experts I
know in the field of disability accommodations.

As for making touch-screen devices accessible, take a look at the
"Maestro", which has a clip-on cover for Dell Axim PocketPCs. You can
see a picture of the device at
http://www.humanware.ca/web/en/p_DA_Maestro.asp#content

A similar clip-on device would be ideal in the case of OpenMoko.
Obviously, if the UI were designed with such a cover in mind, then
implementation of the cover device would be much easier.

~Bradley