tomtom on the Neo1973

Ian Stirling openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Sat Mar 31 16:27:32 CEST 2007

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen wrote:

> On 3/31/07, *Patrick Beck* <beck-patrick at web.de
> <mailto:beck-patrick at web.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     i follow the deployment of the Neo1973 and Openmoko since they become
>     public.
>
>     I have discussed with a few others on the IRC, about the Idea to use
>     tomtom on the Neo1973. I think it will be very cool :) I had no problem
>     to pay money for a good software and rich in detail maps. It is hard
>     work to create good maps (see http://www.openstreetmap.org).
>

> Therefore I would like to support openstreetmap.org
> <http://openstreetmap.org>

Openstreetmap is shit.
At the moment.

I say this as a contributor,
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=56.19321236291454&lon=-3.165765060997736&zoom=12
(select the cross on the right, pick 'osmarender') (all my own work
(except the railway)
I intend to -slowly- fill out Glenrothes - 40K population, some 300Km of
  roads, maybe a few hundred points of interest.

A map that completely omits towns and cities with populations of 150K,
or millions in some parts of the world is a complete joke as an end-user
device,for the 99.999% of the worlds surface that is not well mapped.

>     When many people want to use tomtom on the Neo1973, it would be a good
>     precondition to assure tomtom from this idea to sell tomtom for the
>     Openmoko platform. tomtom devices already run under linux, so i think it
>     will not so hard to port it on Openmoko.
>

> I think tomtom should be optional in addition to openstreetmap.
> Openstreetmap should not be replaced, and it should be easy to update
> openstreetmap. We could make some nice UI for that. But people have
> different needs; and for those that need detailed maps and can afford
> it, maybe tomtom is better.

Of course tomtom can't be installed by default - without a huge per-item
subsidy.