Size and weight considerations for future Openmoko devices

Ian Stirling openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Thu May 3 13:32:55 CEST 2007

wim delvaux wrote:
> FWIW,
>
> most of these 'light' phones do seem so 'fragile'.  It looks like any drop
> from pocket or table might smash them to bits.  Less weight generally means
> more flimsy devices.
>
> I have had the NEO in my hands and although the numbers may make if sound like
> it is chunky it is not AND when held gives you the feeling that it is rather
> drop-safe.
>
> Personally I prefer 'robustness' over 'light weight'.  (Hell, I still run
> around with my NOKIA 6130 which to any modern standard looks like a brick,
> but I lost track of how many times it dropped on the floor)

This is why I want some tests.
I want a few - say 3 or 4 - representative neo1973's, with the
production case, though PCB style possibly isn't so important, dropped
from progressively increasing heights (one test onto carpet, one onto
concrete), on all six sides, all functionality verified until they break.
(say 10cm, 14cm, 20cm, 28, 40, ...)

Similar tests done with dropping a 10mm steel ball onto the display.

No, of course I don't plan on dropping it.
It would be rather nice to know 'it will probably die if I drop it 1m
onto concrete'.