Size and weight considerations for future Openmoko devices

Ian Stirling openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Thu May 3 14:04:07 CEST 2007

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Am 03.05.2007 um 13:32 schrieb Ian Stirling:
>
>> wim delvaux wrote:
>>> FWIW,
>>> most of these 'light' phones do seem so 'fragile'.  It looks like any
>>> drop from pocket or table might smash them to bits.  Less weight
>>> generally means more flimsy devices.
>
> No. It is easy to make a fragile looking device that is robust and vice
> versa.
>
> It is more the mixture of materials that determines the robustness and
> finishing which determines how robust it looks. And finally a smaller
> device has less inertia so it is more robust. Look at an ant. It can
> fall from 10m and survives...

That's not solely robustness though, air resistance helps lots too.
I suppose it's not that long given current trends till phones can be
dropped from any distance as they'll hit terminal velocity at a safe speed.
I suppose some stuff - microSD cards, for example, already can be
dropped from any height.