Finger text input idea

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat May 5 10:03:11 CEST 2007

Richi Plana wrote:
> I agree that thought should be given to this, but I would suggest an
> 8-spoke wheel instead of 6-.

Hmm, already 6 is pretty dense. I'm afraid 8 would be too much.
At least with a circular layout.

> That way the wheel can be emulated on a keypad

That would be quite nice, yes.

> If one is using a
> finger on the NWN interface, then it would require lifting the finger to
> tap at each spoke and the idea is tapping on a spoke brings you outward
> in the hierarchy and tapping in the hub brings you down.

A touch hierarchy may have its merits too. For now, I've been trying
to do most things with dragging, but tapping may indeed be easier.

Anyway, my proof of concept version can do either. You just have to
give it the right state machine :-)

- Werner