Other Devices

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Thu May 10 09:15:08 CEST 2007

Casey Borders wrote:

>What would be the feasibility of loading the OpenMoko operating system on >to another smart phone, like, say the Nokia n95.

Well, one of the reasons for OpenMoko is that it is _very_ hard to bring the Linux operating system to closed hardware, i.e. without vendor support.

Before thinking about the upper OpenMoko layers, you would need to port a bootloader and a kernel, which will probably keep you busy for some months.

The n95 in particular runs TI OMAP chips and TI has a history of being very tight lipped about their specs, so I'd expect this to be a major hassle.

In short, if the hardware is open enough to get Linux running with all peripherals supported, then the upper layers are no problem (except minor touches to accomodate for display resolution, different GSM modem, buttons, LEDs, etc.).

--
- Michael Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org>                   http://openmoko.org/