Battery powered charging/USB hub

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Thu May 10 20:14:44 CEST 2007

Steven Milburn writes:
>btw: That's only works if the port you connect to allows high power
>devices.  Most laptops have only one physical port which will let you
>enumerate as a high power device, and sometimes even that port only allows
>it when you're plugged in.  So, hopefully the phone will be able to attempt
>enumeration as a high-power device first, and if nak'd, enumerate as a
>low-power device.  In that case, it would be nice if there was some
>indication that the battery isn't being charged, or isn't being charged very
>quickly, whatever the case would be.

That's correct, and you're right -- it would be good to have an
indication.

What I'm having a hard time figuring out is why people make comments
about needing USB 2.0 to get 500 mA -- when that's simply not so...

>Also, I haven't checked, but I'm assuming the Neo is a full-speed device.
>If that's so, there's really no difference to speak of from usb1.1 and
>usb2.0.  both specs have full speed devices, with little changes in 2.0.
>usb2.0 added high-speed devices.  I often hear people say usb2.0 when they
>mean high-speed, but the two are not equal.  Just want to make sure that
>isn't happening here.

I'd have to look it up again, but my impression is that it's a full
speed device.

As for 2.0 != high speed -- I don't remember anything else 2.0 gives
you that 1.1 doesn't...