How many FOSS developers & users Worldwide?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Sat May 12 13:38:29 CEST 2007

One more idea:

a) count the number of registered users at Sourceforge, Freshmeat,
GNA and some other similar facilities. Could give a rough indication
for FOSS developers.
b) count the number of registered users at Linuxquestions could give
an indication for the number of user.

But as said before: it needs a clear definition. Am I counted as a
FOSS user if I use a Motorola A760?

Nikolaus Schaller