firefox for mobiles

Myk Melez myk at melez.com
Sun May 13 03:53:47 CEST 2007

michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:
> yowza!
>
>     "Looks like our favorite Web browser is about to go mobile.
> Mozilla head honcho, Mitchell Baker, told the folks at APC magazine
> that Mozilla is working on a Firefox to go for your cellphone. It's a
> long-term project (meaning it's not coming out any time soon), but the
> goal is to allow it to work with all the add-ons and plug-ins that the
> full version works with.
FWIW, the Mozilla Corporation is *not* "working on a Firefox to go for
your cellphone".  We are, however, working on a Java midlet and server
that let you pass data from Firefox to your phone.  It's called Project
Joey, and you can get more info on the Mozilla Labs featured projects
list <http://labs.mozilla.com/featured-projects/>.

And we're also rearchitecting Gecko, the rendering engine inside
Firefox, to improve embeddability in mobile phones, among other goals.
Read more about that on the Mozilla 2 wiki page
<http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla_2>.

-myk