firefox for mobiles

Myk Melez myk at melez.com
Sun May 13 04:08:13 CEST 2007

David Ford wrote:
> I used to love FF, now it's just a cpu/ram hog that usually gets killed
> by the kernel every 36-48 hours for taking about 2G of ram.

Memory leaks in Firefox (as opposed to high memory consumption
generally, which as Bradley notes is often caused by Firefox's agressive
caching of tab history) can be caused by bugs in core code, but they
often come from extensions and web pages.

The latter have become more common since the advent of web-based
productivity applications like gmail and Zimbra that people leave open
in tabs for hours, days, or weeks.

One way to check for extension leaks or certain core Firefox leaks is to
install the Leak Monitor extension
<http://dbaron.org/mozilla/leak-monitor/>.  But that extension still
won't catch memory leaks in web pages themselves, so it won't detect
that f.e. gmail or digg uses more memory over time.

-myk