TaskManager is one ugly piece of... UI

Daniel Willmann daniel at totalueberwachung.de
Sun May 13 17:57:36 CEST 2007

Brad,

I would suggest we move this discussion to openmoko-apps.

On Thu, 10 May 2007 08:40:22 -0600
"Brad Midgley" <bmidgley at gmail.com> wrote:

> After spending a day or so working over my P1, I have to ask if the
> TaskManager is slated for removal or improvement. It is the single
> worst component of user interface on the whole device...
Yeah there are some issues with the taskmanager that I am currently
trying to resolve.

> - the X on the left sometimes closes the task manager and sometimes
> closes an app depending on the selection
Actually it is supposed to close the selected application and when no
app is selected...it segfaults. Same with the go to (turning arrow).

> I see two ways to improve it:

> 2. Make the lower-left-corner button bring up a popup menu with each
> application listed and an X after each name if you wanted to close
> it. (It could even be scrollable or tiled if it'll grows too long,
> but that will be the unusual case.) With a popup, we get back to what
> people expect in task switching and it's simple and clear to
> understand what this thing is for. It also would "go away" when you
> click somewhere else instead of cluttering up the notion of what is
> running.
Hmm, I think the menu would have to be huge for finger input. I was
just thinking of a mode paradigm:
Open the taskmanager and you are in "Go to" mode. Any click on an app
goes to it.
If you press the kill button you are in "Kill" mode and any subsequent
click kills the application returning to "Go to" mode.

Regards,

Daniel Willmann