First impressions of Neo1973

Tomasz Zielinski tomasz.zielinski at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:05:00 CEST 2007

2007/5/14, Ole Tange <openmoko.org at tange.dk>:

> = Software =
>
> Software is very limited at this point: I have yet to place my first
> call using the phone.

Features and overall software quality can (and will) improve in
future, but poor performance worries me much. Long time ago I had Palm
III which had 16MHz CPU and it's responsiveness was far, far better
than Neo.

My wife took working Neo1973, tapped random icon once, twice and a few
times more and said device is hanging. I came to her, pointed small
hourglass in top bar and after a while... dialer application started.

Typical PDA, PalmOS or Windows Mobile based, boots in a few seconds
and fires application in a second or two (or it displays splash if
it's big software, like navigation one). Neo boots long minutes and
even most basic applications starts too long - you can even watch GUI
elements are drawn just like Java AWT or Swing widgets do on very slow
machines.

Maybe 200MHz ARM is just to weak to handle heavyweight GTK? Ot is
there any other reason it works so slow?

--
Tomek Z.
tomasz.zielinski at gmail.com