Durability of the Neo1973?

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Wed May 16 02:38:23 CEST 2007

damn gmail reply issues.....posted agian with correct address

On 5/16/07, polz <polz at aufbix.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 18:26:57 Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
>
> > Most all the parts are now at the factory. The May 10th run has been
> > delayed about two weeks because of last minute supply coordination
> > issues. But I'm still being told that we're on to have devices this
> > month.
> At least to me, the neo1973 is looking more and more like vapourware, an
> experiment in marketing, whose purpose is to:
>
> 1.) estimate the size of the potential market for OpenMoko devices
> 2.) see how long the hype will last.
>
> Can anyone here suggest an HTC phone which can be bought in Europe for less
> than $400 and can run linux well enough to dial out and somehow connect to a
> PC ?

wow, steady on. it's only been a few months, it's not as if this is
duke nukem forever....

this is new ground, there are very few (if any?) phones that have the
capabilities/openness that OM will have. the qtopia greenphone is
closest and that costs way more, nearly $700, i'm sure with other
drawbacks - i don't think it's as open or has as capable hardware

we can't expect a small company like fic to get products to market
anywhere near as quickly as say nokia or sony, and they have to be
commended for taking a step that no-one else will. i'm confident this
will arrive, and am not concerned with delays of a few weeks - after
all, what engineering dev project does run on time and to budget? very
few, i'm sure