firefox for mobiles

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Wed May 16 16:49:45 CEST 2007

Myk Melez wrote:
> David Ford wrote:
>> Even with tuning, FF is a dastard piggy.  I've tested things with FF.
>> Start it with no history, no recovered session.  Load up digg.com and do
>> nothing.  Just let it sit there.  It will sit there and slowly grow and
>> grow and grow.  The caching isn't the problem, that's tunable.  The
>> problem is the memory leaks -- all the valgrind reports turned into moz
>> teams (and ignored).
>>
> I tried this over the weekend, creating a fresh profile for Firefox,
> starting it up, loading digg.com into it, and then letting it sit for a
> day.  Memory consumption stayed constant.
>
> I'm using the latest nightly version of Firefox 2.0 (Mozilla/5.0 (X11;
> U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4pre) Gecko/20070513 BonEcho/2.0.0.4pre)
> on Ubuntu Linux 6.10.
>
> -myk

I also tried doing this, but I got mixed results. Firefox 2.0.0.2, minus
all the extensions and themes, would have consistent memory use
sometimes, but not always. I did notice, however, that I could only get
the memory to start "leaking" when using certain sites, digg being the
primary one. The rate of the leak was quite substantial, and I imagine
that the site's scripting or embedded flash/media content may be at
least partially responsible. I had honestly never used digg before this
test, and all of the other sites I use (like google, slashdot,
wikipedia, and many others) have never caused me problems when leaving
them open for days.

However, this discussion is entirely off-topic at this point. The
mainstream x86 FF release is not in any way a suitable candidate for the
openmoko. The neo uses a different architecture. If a derivation or port
of FF/Mozilla code is used on the neo, then an existing memory leak is
of little concern - it's open source, submit a patch.

~Bradley