First impressions of Neo1973

Duncan Hudson openmoko at dunc-it.com
Wed May 16 16:55:04 CEST 2007

Christopher Tokarczyk wrote:
> not having a neo yet I can't comment on how it actually performs now,
> but I just think it's worth pointing out that this is still very very
> early. personally, i'm not too worried because i have faith that once
> the phones are out and the community at large has a crack at them,
> things will improve.
>
> that said, it is hard to be patient because this thing seems so cool ;-)

Why do we keep saying it's still early?  The phone was due in March, and
it's now not going to ship (if we're lucky) until June.  It's not early,
it's late!  Yes, the hardware has had issues, and yes we want it right,
but the software should have been ready to go in March when it was
scheduled to be released.  Everyone keeps saying that it doesn't matter
that this thing is going to be released around the iPhone's release -
but just try and get some PR during the iPhone's rollout.  Timing is
everything, and in June all eyes will be on Apple.  Say what you want,
but this latest ship was just another shot in the foot towards the
product's success.

Dunc