Few comments after reading Wiki

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed May 16 21:24:07 CEST 2007

Marcin Wiacek wrote:
> Can be done something like that (I'm not hardware guy) ?

Sure, that's basically what we have in mind, except that there may
not even be a microswitch (although I'd like to have at least a
jumper), but just a resistor you'd have to unsolder to do this.

The issue is that our users (= hackers) can also replace critical
system components with their own code. So we don't only have to
protect against unwanted changes, but also again users fully
intending the change, say, the boot loader. Now, if there's a bug
in the new boot loader that breaks it, they will have a means to
restore something that works.

This is a bit different from the regular consumer device, where
people will at most install some nice, well-tested vendor updates.

- Werner