Neo1973 vs Future OpenMoko Devices - whats a buyer to do?

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Sat May 26 06:17:44 CEST 2007

openmoko at mauve.plus.com wrote:
>> I've not seen any of these devices except in the photos, and I've not seen
>> any video/screen capture of the software in its current state.  I
>> understand
>> that this is a first-generation device, and that when the Neo1973 is
>> released that FIC will also be releasing a few additional 'secret'
>> devices.
>> :)
>>
>> If this first-generation phone isn't ready for general use, what is the
>> expected timeline for the next round of devices?  Will the second or third
>> generation devices be far superior to the first generation?  Or can I
>> expect
>
> The idea is for the hardware to be completely ready for general use.
> However, it won't have wifi.
> The next release, in a couple of months or so will.
> The software is a completely seperate question - if you buy the one that's
> soon to be released, you will be able to install the 'release' software on
> it when the later hardware is released.

running new software on old devices is "likely" (backward
compatibility), but its a mistake if it holds back progress.

running old software on new devices is "nice to have", but not necessary
in an open/free device.

In any case, simultaneous GSM + WiFi should work (can you say "stompbox"?)

Simultaneous BT + WiFi doesn't, except where you're either

a) willing to put up with the interferce

b) running a device where the manufacturer had a clue, and has wired the
BT & WiFi chipsets to have either not transmit when the other is
receiving a packet.  (As an optimization, you only have to do this when
the WiFi device is running in the 2.4GHz band.)