Openstreetmapping with Neo and others

Mikko J Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed May 30 17:24:48 CEST 2007

On ke, 2007-05-30 at 10:48 -0400, Ian Darwin wrote:
> > A simple app to add data for the OpenStreetMap project on OpenMoko
> > will probably help a lot.
>
> Absolutely. And I'm sure several of these will come into being.
>
> If you want reuse, however, you should think about writing it in Java.
> Believe that there will be good Java ME implementations for OpenMoko.

Purely from an OSM perspective a good free Java ME mapping app would
indeed be killer, and you're probably right in suspecting that it would
be usable on Moko as well before long.

You're also probably right that there will be several; it's one of the
very "obvious" things to do while GPS toying, and not too hard to get up
to basic functionality, while having lots of possible frills to add on
top of that. Attractive for a geek project ;)

So, for OSM it would be good if a part of the interested mapper
developers chose to do a Java ME mapper. One possible way to do so
wouldn't require a separate project as such; given a mapper application
coded in C and architected to separate the GUI from the core logic, a
Java ME port could conceivably be maintained using Cibyl¹, the C-to-J2ME
compiler. Apparently RoadMap has been ported to J2ME with it already,
doesn't seem too good with OSM integration from quick glances though.

--
Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki