GPS vs. TDOA (was Re: release date)

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Thu May 31 18:38:33 CEST 2007

>>  So why is GPS the killer functionality the Neo has over the iPhone?

I just came back from presenting OpenMoko at a BoF session at Where 2.0, and
the overwhelming opinion there was that access to the raw GPS data that is
unavailable on all other GPS platforms is what sets OpenMoko apart. There was
no question of comparison to iPhone or other GPS-enabled platforms.

These are the people thinking about future location-aware devices and
applications. Existing GPS-aware devices are still narrow in their perspective
of why you might want this information, and allow access (in varying degrees)
only within this view. The frustration in this community is that if you want
the raw data for other uses, you can't get it.

Mind you, I'm no expert in this field. I barely know what I'm talking about,
so my understanding and my conveyence of this to you may be inaccurate and is
no doubt incomplete. But there was no doubting the interest, and the clear
understanding that to the Where 2.0 crowd OpenMoko presents opportunities that
are completely unavailable elsewhere unless they build their own (e.g.
SVHMPC).

I hope some of those people join this list soon and will correct me.

Michael