i'm going to lose my neo....

AVee openmoko-comunity at avee.org
Fri Nov 9 17:38:57 CET 2007

On Friday 09 November 2007 17:14, Mike Hodson wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 7:34 AM, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > With a device like the Neo the biggest issue with automated "I'm
> > here" messages is the risk of the battery running flat 7 the thief
> > being unable to acquire a suitable charger.
> >
> > Stroller.
>
> The way I see it, this isn't an issue if you have to ping the phone
> for it to respond.  Here is my example scenario:
> I find out that my phone is lost.  I text it with a magic gps
> keyword/phrase and it responds with its position.

Which will only work when the thief is friendly enough to turn the phone on
with the same sim-card installed, otherwise, what number would you text to?
I'm guessing most GSM thiefs are smart enough to remove the SIM first.

This does lead to another intresting angle, you could make the phone send it's
location when the SIM card is changed. I doubt you will drain the battery
very fast when you only send a location every 10 minutes or so. That should
not make a huge difference on battery consumption, but be enough to retrieve
it.

AVee

--
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.