FM radio reception on neo/openmoko and some other questions

Georg Michelitsch gm_ail at gmx.at
Fri Nov 9 21:40:52 CET 2007

Doug Sutherland wrote:
> Georg,
>
> The amazing thing about these Silicon Labs parts is that they require
> almost no external components. For example the SI470x FM tuners
> require a crystal and regulator, that is all, they can use headphone
> cable as antenna (as is done in most phones now), and they have
> stereo analog output and SPI interface for control and for getting
> the RDS/RDBS station identification and song info as text. Those
> analog outputs could feed right into a TI PCM2900 and then
> you have a driverless USB audio FM tuner. Without access to
> SPI though a small microcontroller would be required. Could be
> done with a $2 ARM7 or Cortex-M3.
>
> I haven't looked too closely at the FM transmitters or receivers
> yet, but I'll take a look and see what kind of external components
> are required. So you're not even interested in FM tuner, just FM
> transmitters and receivers?
>
> BTW I also have hardware based text-to-speech chips here
> that work really well and also require few components, they
> are UART input and analog and/or digital audio output, I have
> already made one full speech synth for someone using them
> and have several more chipsets here.
>
> I am actually more interested in speech based interfaces to
> phones and PDAs than the fancy GUIs, might be interesting
> to bolt one onto a Neo at some point. My phone should
> READ web pages and email to me and whisper in my ear.
>
>   -- Doug

Doug,

I'm interested in a FM transmitter in order to for example listen to my
music on my car's radio. A receiver (tuner?) would be nice in order to
listen to radio on the phone.  Well I think I mixed up "receiver" and
"tuner" as I'm not native english-speaking.. So if I've understood right
a receiver already plays the music on the radio, while a tuner passes
the data to another device (in this case the phone?) .. Then what I want
is a FM transmitter and a tuner :)

What you've mentioned that far sounds interesting, but you're talking
about USB.. Are there some internal usb-ports on the Neo or how are you
planning to add this extension to it? By plugging it into the external
usb-port?

Your voice-to-text and voice-to-input project sound interesting too but
my primary interest for the moment concerns the FM transmitter/tuner
project.

. Georg