Bluetooth - Hardware vs Software

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Fri Oct 5 16:54:31 CEST 2007

I'll just be honest and say that I am just too lazy to search the tubes
for the answer, so here goes.

 From the bluetooth perspective, are many/any of the profiles dependent
upon hardware or can just about any hardware module implement the
profiles via software?  I thought that Bluetooth 2.0 was supposed to
have a higher data transmission rate, so I would think that would
require appropriate hardware upgrades, but I could be wrong.  That said,
it wasn't completely obvious from the wiki whether the Bluetooth module
was 2.0 capable or not.

I'm not a Bluetooth idiot, I just don't know where the line is drawn
between hardware and software.  Any clarification would be appreciated.

-Jonathon