No Camera???

Giles Jones giles.jones at zen.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 19:19:11 CEST 2007

On 6 Oct 2007, at 18:06, <thomas.cooksey at bt.com>
<thomas.cooksey at bt.com> wrote:

> I've been following OpenMoko for nearly a year now and the thought
> has only just struck me - There's no camera!
>
> Even the GTA02 seems to be missing a camera. Surely if this is
> intended to be aimed at consumers a camera is a must?
>
> If you look on Nokia's website they have 35 phones listed. Filter
> that by "with camera" and you get 30. Consumers want cameras and no
> consumer is going to buy a phone without one??
>
> When the Neo is finally launched as a consumer product (say early
> 2009) it's not going to matter how open it is or how many 3rd party
> apps there are - People will not buy a phone without a camera. I
> think the whole project is in real danger of being a very big,
> expensive flop.
>

> Please, someone put my mind at rest! :-)

Search the archives, this discussion has taken place many many times.

Needless to say there won't be a camera as standard since the case
tooling can't be altered at this stage.

If every design change requested were to be incorporated then the Neo
would be the since of a laptop and would be ready in 10 years time.

A survey on The Register (UK site) had camera at the lowest required
feature with about 25% of people saying they need one and 25% saying
the couldn't care less.