dfu-util only gives "Permission Denied"

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Mon Oct 8 16:55:41 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 18:26 +0200, frogger at x-game.se wrote:
> Hello,
> This is my first entry after receiving my OpenMoko kit this friday. This
> is also my first time using a Linux Computer to do anything real, so
> please forgive me if my questions are naive and simple =)
>
> So I have my new Ubuntu computer up and running and I wanted to start
> flashing the Neo phone just get a feel for it before attacking the
> development environment.
>
> I downloaded the dfu-util software and moved it to /bin for convenience.
> Now everytime I try try to run dfu-util I get a "Permission Denied" error.
> I have tried using "sudo dfu-util --help" as well as using "sudo su -" to
> be a root user but i get only "Permission Denied". Now I get the feeling
> that I don't have the required Linux skills to solve this myself, hence
> this question to this list.
>
> does anyone have  a good answer to this ?

I suspect you have not set "executable" permission on the file. To do
this, right click the file, select properties and open the permissions
tab. Here you should be able to select "Allow executing this file as a
program" (or something similar). To do the same via the command line,
type: chmod a+x /path/to/dfu-util

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/