3G status within the US?

Steve openmokolists at mysteryvortex.com
Tue Oct 9 07:01:16 CEST 2007

Brad Midgley wrote:
> Steve
>> I wonder why this update can't be done in the field.  The only cellular
>> phones I can think of that had radio code which wasn't field updatable
>> were AMPS phones with the firmware in (OT/E)PROMs.  Surely the radio
>> firmware in the Neo 1973 is stored in some sort of reprogrammable
>> non-volatile memory.
>
> the phone OS is a separate firmware from the gsm module. This is a
> module that is supposed to "just work" so that may be why there's no
> update path worked out.

The iPhone seems to be structured the same way.  I think this is common
in phones these days.

see bbupdater:
http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/694-5259-38.dmg#usr.2Flocal.2Fbin.2Fbbupdater

...and their page on the baseband chipset:
http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Baseband

Just look at all the trouble these guys are going to in order to free
their phone!

-Steve