Using Openmoko in Japan

Jon openmoko at snowulf.com
Tue Oct 16 09:49:14 CEST 2007

Torsten,
It isn't a matter of what "G" the Neo1973 supports.  In this case you are
talking about data access (GPRS versus EDGE, etc).  The problem is that the
Neo only supports GSM cellular networks, and according to the GSM
Association [1] , Japan does not use GSM.   In Japan they use UMTS (which is
marketed as the "next generation GSM").  To put this even simpler, the Neo
supports the standard GSM bands (850/1900, 900/1800) and Japan's UMTS uses
1700 & 2100.

So the short version, unless there is some other hidden GSM carrier in Japan
(and I dont live there, so there could be), the Neo is not radio compatible
with Japanese cellular networks

[1] - http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_jp.shtml

-Jon