Keypad for fingers, not stylus

enaut enaut.w at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:48:38 CEST 2007

Michael Bowerman schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> It might be worth reusing/reimplementing SCIM or other multilingual
> dictionary system (http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html) instead of
> T9.  I have used SCIM with Gnome on Ubuntu Linux to convert pinyin to
> mandarin.  I think SCIM also plays nice with X, and I assume it would
> not be too difficult to make it convert "number-speak" to English.
> So, the hardest part would probably be building the dictionary, and
> getting the whole thing to build and fit on the phone.
>
> Regards.
>
> _bowerman
Another Idea is to reimplement Dasher... which is desinged for such
devices. You dont have to use the input method they use... the
sidescroll game is not that usefull I think ;) but the way it learns is
really fast and often meets the expectations. And its open source. The
good thing about Dasher is that you can give any txt file as a learning
resource so it should be languageindependent. but just have a look at
it... its in the repos of Ubuntu and you can find it here:

Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasher
Try a webbrowser Java version:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/TryJavaDasherNow.html
Or just look at it while someone else is writing:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/DasherSummary2.html

regards
enaut