Some feedback from using the neo as a phone for a day

Joe Pfeiffer joseph at pfeifferfamily.net
Tue Oct 16 17:13:31 CEST 2007

Lalo Martins writes:
>Also spracht Kero van Gelder (Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:03:08 +0200):
>>> I noticed that too.  Maybe the panel applets process needs to run under
>>> a supervisor that will restart it?
>>
>> Nah, they (or one of them, since I think it's one application) should
>> simply not crash.
>>
>> Supervisors add complexity that I do not desire.
>
>I beg to disagree.  It's impossible to be absolutely sure it won't crash,
>since we're open to users installing random stuff there.  And I think the
>"complexity" of a supervisor is at least trivial.  Making sure the phone
>never becomes partially unusable is much more important to me than the
>tiny difference in complexity a supervisor would add.

A user can certainly add something that will crash; that doesn't mean
it should cause anything else to crash.  Last I saw (haven't looked in
a little while), the problem with the top icons wasn't that they were
crashing; it's that gsmd would terminate when it decided the modem had
died, and the icon bar shared memory with it.  The two things this
argues for are for gsmd to not terminate unless requested (including
if it concludes there's no modem out there) and/or the top icons using
an architecture that doesn't involve sharing memory with other
applications.