Some feedback from using the neo as a phone for a day

Björn Martensen bjoern.martensen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:56:34 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 20:05 -0500, Mark Arvidson wrote:

> > UI:
> > - The current keyboard is highly unusable. I know it's intended to be
> > used with a stylus, and it's fine for that, but it's completely
> > unreasonable to expect a user to have a stylus for activities like
> > SMS, or entering a new contact. And even with pretty small fingers
> > it's pretty hard for me to type on the keyboard.
>
> I totally agree.  I can sometimes hit the right key with my
> fingernail, but backspace is difficult.  The keys also have quite a
> bit of dead space between them, so you have to hit it right on.

I know, not another iPhone comparison, but it seems that the iPhone's
keyboard is actually usable and i hope to get something similar with the
neo, so how about a cleaner keyboard with less and bigger keys? Is it
even possible on the smaller screen of the neo? Maybe the keyboard would
be more usable in landscape mode, detected by the accelerometers, gta02
will have?

> > - The dialer application has the "hangup" button on the top right of
> > the screen when in a call. When you actually talk on the phone it's
> > _really_ easy to touch that part of the screen with your face, which
> > results in 3-4 accidental hangups per call. Oops. :-)
>
> Same here.  Maybe I need to shave closer.

Maybe the hang up action could be reworked to a slide action instead of
a button, like the iPhone (i know... ;D) and qtopia have for locking the
phone. Like in qtopia you have to slide a key into a lock, you could
have to move a phone onto the base part (sorry, don't know the correct
english terms of those parts atm...)

greets,
Björn