community at lists.openmoko.org

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Thu Oct 25 09:56:25 CEST 2007

I must admit that I can't follow the "patience" idea.

Some facts:
* FIC is a commercial company and they want to sell devices to finaly
make money
* impatience generates market demand - patient people wait forever.
This is no good business model.

What happens if the impatient people buy an iPhone and the patient
ones sit there and simply wait for announcements? This list will
become quite inactive (in my subjective observation it is already).
FIC will have to decide that nobody is here anymore impatiently
waiting for them to deliver anything. And they will finally have to
cancel the project because it will not be able to meet their
financial goals.

Impatience shows interested people eagerly waiting for the heroes to
deliver something extraordinary!

And note: developers are the early adopters. Patient people
(marketing speak calls them "laggards") are the last to buy something.

And talking about being a customer or not. I do also not agree
completely that we are developers and not customers and therefore are
not allowed to demand anything.

Developers have paid (or will pay) for a hardware. Well, we have not
paid for technical support. But the whole OpenMoko project assumes a
substantial contribution from the developers towards the project
success. I.e. we do even invest our time to push the project. So, we
pay in addition to the device hardware for getting this open
platform. Therefore, we can IMHO expect some more insight into what
is going on because we pay more...

Finally, I also wonder a little about the expectation that the hero
(core) developers should only develop (behind some curtain and not be
disturbed) and somebody else should write announcements,
documentation, help, etc. This attitude fits more to closed companies.

Nikolaus Schaller

Golden Delicious Computers GmbH&Co. KG
http://www.goldelico.com
Digital Tools for Independent People