SMedia 3362

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 20:50:35 CEST 2007

On 9/1/07, Raphael Jacquot <sxpert at sxpert.org> wrote:
> Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> > Is there any technical info available about this chip?
> >
> > Is there an X driver for it, or one in progress?
>
> depending on the timeframe, perhaps FIC could contact or help the
> opengraphics people with their project, the goal of which is to create a
> graphics controller asic that would be used for embedded systems.
> Using the opengraphics asic in the openmoko platform would be, IMNSHO
> the proper thing to do

Or maybe use an FPGA so we can design our own hardware-accelerated
graphics functions, and it can double for some other purposes too.
OpenGraphics is starting that way (spartan 3 if memory serves).  They
are cheap.  Not sure if they are low-power enough to use in a phone.

What about the XScale accelerators?  There was one designed
specifically as a companion to the PXA270.  Are they more open?

My Zaurus has a TC6393; it has line-drawing and rectangle-filling in
hardware.  I have used it successfully for those tasks.  But that's
not much acceleration.