How "snappy" can the Openmoko GUI get using GTK?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Sep 3 16:44:08 CEST 2007

denis wrote:
> Watching a lot of videos about Openmoko and the GUI I saw that it is
> very slow and yards away from being "snappy". (regarding the application
> startup and the acting inside an application) I know that speed is not
> the priority thing in developement  at the moment but how fast and
> "snappy" can the Openmoko GUI using GTK get?

I think this will improve with the new faster CPU.

Seeing the difference between the Nokia 770 and the Nokia 800 (faster
CPU), this will make a great difference. Especially considerung that
OpenMoKo and Maemo use very much the same technology.

But you are right at some point.
Having a true multitasking os with memory management and the like and a
display abstraction layer like X servers is completely different from
dump devices like (old) palm with neither of them. *g*

And as you said. The sofware is not optimised yet.
I would say the device has enough horse power and most important enough
RAM to run smoothly eventually.