Apple is going to beat all competitors

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Fri Sep 7 23:33:48 CEST 2007

On Sep 7, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Raphael Jacquot wrote:
>> - At least several hours of H.264 playback.
> possibly doable but I don't believe the current hardware can handle it

The point here is that for the GTA02, if the video hardware supports
hardware playback of H.264, we need a driver that allows us to take
advantage of that.   You're right that it's a nonstarted on the
GTA01, but that's okay.

>> - A good music app, ideally tied in to the Amazon/Universal store.
>
> with the amount of DRM shit those morons are going to require,
> forget it
> leave people put their own stuff on there. no silly iTunes crap

Actually Universal is dissing Apple by releasing non-DRM'd tunes
through Amazon and not the iTMS, so there's actually some good non-
DRM'd stuff that'll be available that way.   If it could be
downloaded over the WiFi, that would be really neat, and something
that no other phone is likely to offer.

>> - Leverage the GPS to do things the iPhone doesn't do.
>
> that should be somehow tied with openstreetmap

There are a lot of wicked cool things you can do without OSM working,
so I think focusing on OSM is just going to delay the things that are
easy to do.   If it's done and available and easy, great, but it
needn't be a gating factor in doing cool stuff with the GPS.