application idea

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Thu Sep 13 14:05:48 CEST 2007

Jeff Andros wrote:
> Last night, while I was looking at the monsoon blowing just outside the
> heat-island... in my open-top jeep... I had an application idea: GPS
> based weather feeds.
>
> on a schedule/when you move into a new area, the phone will go out to a
> server and retrieve the weather information for the area you're in.
>
> being able to glance at the today screen and see up-to-date weather data
> would be nice

The biggest challenge would be a mapping from gps coordinates to
regions/postcodes or such.
If you have this information, you could do all sorts of crazy stuff. But
i doubt these data would be very easy to get.
Maybe with some algorithm that finds out the nearest known gps location
from wikipedia. Many cities are already geo-tagged in wikipedia.
Or maybe there is a open and ready to use database out there. But i
doubt it.
Having the list on the device seems not very practical either. :(

But, hey if we would have such a framework all kinds of crazy things
could come out of that. *g*
Local Wheather, local time zone selection, local party informations,
restaurant guides (Qype?), local dial plans for DTMF dialing (This
feature _has_ to come *g*), ...

If someone stumbles upon such services that can use gps coordinates,
this might be a good start.
But i guess such services are very sparse.
And last but not least. The biggest problem would be to find services
that are available world wide.