application idea

ian douglas id at w98.us
Mon Sep 17 08:02:17 CEST 2007

Tilman Baumann wrote:
> The biggest challenge would be a mapping from gps coordinates to
> regions/postcodes or such.
> If you have this information, you could do all sorts of crazy stuff. But
> i doubt these data would be very easy to get.

I've seen it at another contract I worked a year ago, but not sure if
the GPS-to-US-zip-code data was freely available or a paid service. The
database I used for my job there had the entire US postal code regions
mapped out based on latitude/longitude so the data IS out there. Just a
matter of seeing if it's free to download from somewhere. The database
was gigantic though, I'm not sure it's something you'd want to store on
the device itself.

-id